Instructions for Denture Surgery
While you are recovering from surgery, we have some suggestions to make you more comfortable and speed the healing of the surgical site(s).
- Take all medications as directed by the doctor. Do not mix or substitute medications. Take pain medications at regular intervals as prescribed. If you were given antibiotics, follow the instructions and continue to take them until the entire prescription is gone.
- Absolutely NO TOBACCO products of any kind. Use of tobacco products will impede the healing process.
- Do not attempt to remove your treatment denture in the first 24 hours. You will be seeing the doctor tomorrow; she will remove the denture for you. During the first 24 hours, the denture acts as a band aid.
- Try to keep your head elevated, even while you sleep. Swelling can be controlled by ice packs. Apply packs for 15-20 minutes every hour- no more than that.
- After first follow up visit with the doctor, you may gently rinse with warm salt water: ½ teaspoon to 8 oz of water. This will freshen and soothe your mouth.
- Begin to eat well balanced meals AFTER the anesthesia has worn off. If you need to intake food prior to this, please have a protein shake or a smoothie. Proper balanced nutrition is the key to giving your body the nutrients it requires to begin the healing process. Remember to intake plenty of fluids, preferably water.
- You will be given additional instructions for care of your treatment denture and oral hygiene requirements as your follow up visit.
It will take time and patience for your body to heal and to adapt to the new denture. You will need adequate rest to begin the healing process. Please refrain from all unnecessary physical activity for the first week.
If you have any questions, please contact our office.