Instructions for In-Office Bleaching

AFTER CARE INSTRUCTION FOR IN OFFICE BLEACHING

You have recently had an in office bleaching. The teeth may feel sensitive to thermal changes, (i.e. such as hot/cold foods or beverages) and/or air for the next 24 hours. The teeth also may feel sensitive to the touch. 800 mg Ibuprofen(i.e., Advil liquigels- 4 caplets) taken once every 8 hours may reduce discomfort.

You have been given whitening trays or syringes for at home use to enhance your in office bleach experience. You should begin the use of these trays or syringes three (3) days following your in office bleach. Use these trays or syringes every other day for 1 to ½ hours. Keep any unused trays or syringes in the refrigerator. Heat will cause the bleach to denature and the bleach will not work as well.

Your teeth will continue to whiten over the next 2 weeks. After a few days, your teeth may not appear as ‘white’ to you as they did when you left the office. The reason is that you have become accustomed to the new color; your teeth are NOT getting darker.

If this is the first time you have bleached, it may take up to 3 to 4 in office bleach treatments over a 1 year period to achieve your desired color. Understand that your teeth can only become as white as your body physiologically will allow.

Remember that only natural tooth structure will bleach. If there are areas of your teeth that did not seem to lighten, those areas may have tooth colored filling and/or crowns. To lighten those areas, replacing the restorations will be required.

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact the office.

Remember to avoid all food and beverages that may stain the teeth, such as red wine, grape juice, cola, blueberries & coffee for the first few days.  If you must have them, please use a straw for the beverages during those few days.